Monday, August 30, 2004

The Dempsey's

I'm up in the middle of the night. I hate that. Saw The Dempsey's tonight at Huey's downtown. It was perhaps the first time I'd ever had band members ask me if they could have some gum during the show. This is a local rockabilly band, very fast-paced slapping bass, very frenetic, but no punk sensibility, so definitely not psychobilly like The Shackshakers.

Sadly, it seems the Shackshakers are off in strange places for a while. I was hoping they'd be around soon now that I'm nearer their neck of the woods. Aw hell, I've heard that they sold out anyway.

Anyway, back to the gig. It was super-fast-paced, and these guys are formidable musicians. It seemed a strange place for a gig. It's an old burger joint with a menu not dissilimar from Applebees. I was sitting at a table in front of the bass player, who slaps some seriously fast bass, climbs all over his instrument, and is a total goofball. All three guys can play all three instruments, and there are a lot of little gimmicky tricks they do to prove they're worth their salt: two guys playing the guitar at once, switching instruments, drummer drumming on the bass strings, etc. It's all very fancy. I liked them a lot. I wasn't insanely over the moon for them like I am for The Shackshakers. I think it's because the Shackshakers have that almost icky quality: a bit like you oughtta wash when you leave the gig. Why this makes them so good, I don't know, but there you have it.

OK. Why am I awake? I think it's time to try sleep again. Zzzzz.