Friday, September 10, 2004

My Year

So, in answer to the question you haven't asked yet...

OK. There are three rotations during the year. Each lasts about 4 months. For each rotation, you do one major rotation for 22-24 hours a week, one minor for 8-12 hours a week, and then you can do 1-3 add-ons. Add-ons are usually about 4 hours a week.

So here's my schedule. I do a lot of work in the schools because I'm a School Psych intern, but the work can be incredibly varied: assessments, therapy, group therapy, parent training, consultation with teachers, special projects, etc... OK...


Rotation 1
  • Major = Public Schools
  • Minor = Forensics at a local mental health center. I will see all people who are ordered by the court to have a mental health examination - could be a misdemeanor, could be Murder One. I may do competency hearings to determine whether a person is fit to stand trial. I'll also assess for the competency at the time of the offense. Sometimes I might have to do expert testimony.

Rotation 2
  • Major = Public schools
  • Minor = Outpatient clinic affiliated with the city hospital. Severely and acutely mentally ill adults, but not so acute that they have to be kept in an inpatient setting.

Rotation 3
(For this one I have three minors.)

  1. A local agency that has 18 programs that all have to do with the prevention and intervention of child abuse and domestic violence. I'm most interested in a program that works with men who are in prison who are trying to learn to be better long-distance fathers.
  2. A rotation where I will do a lot of record review of mostly foster kids, mostly messy cases. I will work with an interdisciplinary team comprised of psychiatry, nursing, social work, etc to make recommendations.
  3. Public Schools

Add-ons


In Rotation One, my primary Add-on is dissertation hours, but I'm also beginning a crisis intervention training (I'll talk about that in a minute) and attending a Family Therapy seminar. Other Add-on options I will try to fit in over the year include running PTSD groups with veterans, doing assessment for a pediatric neuropsychologist, and learning about the business side of running a private practive. The crisis intervention model I'm learning was developed here and is used all over the country and the world. This model is used by police to intervene when the severely mentally ill create community disturbances. Once I'm trained, I can go on ride-alongs with the cops.

By the way, once I start these rotations, I can't talk about them in any more than the most general terms. I can see someone getting themselves getting into an awful lot of trouble blogging about their confidential client interactions. Ain't gonna happen here. Seems only Washington interns are that careless! I like what I do way too much to risk it! :P