Sunday, October 03, 2004

My Neighbor is Driving Me NUTS!

You know what I think? I think the guy downstairs thinks I made up that I had a headache as an attempt to make him feel guilty. If he'd known how my head really felt, he never would have glared at me when I went downstairs and said, "Take an Advil." I had the most excruciating migraine one day this week. I was already in agony. When he got home, he turned on his music so loudly, and I could feel every beat in my temples. I was on the sofa, wearing not all that much, and trying to chill. When the music started, ugh... it was awful. I decided to bang on the floor. Not the best choice, but I was in so much pain and I wasn't dressed. I banged on the floor and heard him yell up through the floor, then the music went UP in volume. Anyway, just writing the details again causes me to get irate, so I won't go into it...

Anyway, last night, he had a loud party. I had planned to go to bed at around 9pm. Y'all know I'm a 1am+ girl most of the time, but this job is really taking a lot out of me, and I've been overtired and forgetful and generally not feeling all that well, and I knew I needed the sleep. There was music blasting through the floor, and people in the courtyard talking very loudly. Their smoke came through my closed windows and honestly filled my apartment with cigarette smoke. I didn't fall asleep until after midnight... and then, only with a fan, an air cleaner, and a white noise machine running. I shut the door to my room, too, because the smoke was so bad that I was actually coughing in my own apartment from it.

I feel like I'm in No Exit by Sartre... Hell is other people. And his hostility makes compromise impossible... OH!!!! I forgot to mention that when I went down and asked him to be quiet that night, he actually told me I walked too loudly. WTF?! If he knew that I never play my stereo except when he's not home, he'd probably think I was telling him to be a martyr, so I will never tell him. The truth is that I don't want to get into a volume war, nor do I wish to do anything that will make me at all at fault in this, so that I always have a leg to stand on.

I'm so worn out from the last hostile encounter that I don't have the energy to confront him again. I have a dissertation to write, a future to design, a job to find for next year, not to mention psych reports to write this year. I am in the middle of the busiest year of my life, and I'd do just about anything to make this problem go away. Hehe... I sound like Tony Soprano.

I read this week that of the 331 cities rated in the latest Best Places book, Memphis is ranked 330th for Crime. It is tied with San Antonio as having the highest crime rate in the country, which is handy when looking for a hitman... KIDDING!!!

Ugh... as I was writing this, the room I am in started filling up with smoke. I got up to close the window, and he's standing below my window smoking. Man, the one thing I asked about when I moved in was the noise. THE ONE THING!!! But I guess they can't predict. I'm not anti-confrontation, but I'm sort of anti-confrontation when I don't think it will get me anywhere, and this guy just isn't reasonable. He's hostile, and he couldn't care less about the quality of my life.