Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Year in Review

A quiz ganked from Mynxie.
  • What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before? Survived while driving on the streets of Memphis. Let's hope for more of the same next year.
  • Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year? I'm not sure I had any. Last Christmas, I was sort of in survival mode. Come to think of it...
  • Did anyone close to you give birth? More close friends gave birth in 2003, and there are several scheduled for 2005!
  • Did anyone close to you die? At the end of 2003, yes. 2004? I'm happy to say no.
  • What countries did you visit? I usually find some way to get out of the country, but not this year.
  • What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004? A little financial stability. The ability to pay loans, not take them out.
  • What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Valentine's Day. Cheesy, but it's the night I had a little webcam Trivial Pursuit date with Aaron. I had been out earlier to see Lost in Translation. Great flick. Great fun. Fun night.
  • What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting an internship, writing most of my dissertation, finally getting a little divorce recovery under my belt.
  • What was your biggest failure? Nothing major. I would have liked to have taken better care of myself physically and emotionally. I feel I've been neglecting my health because of the diss and the internship.
  • Did you suffer illness or injury? Luckily, no.
  • What was the best thing you bought? Is there any question? Cutiegear!
  • Whose behavior merited celebration? Dad. He's made retirement seem cool.
  • Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Duh! George Bush.
  • Where did most of your money go? Rent and moving.
  • What did you get really, really, really excited about? I'm always getting really, really excited! All I can think of right now is my new blog template. Um... I've actually been really excited about my career finally taking form after all this schooling.
  • What song will always remind you of 2004? "I'm Under Your Spell" from Buffy: The Musical!
  • Compared to this time last year, are you:
    • happier or sadder? Happier
    • thinner or fatter? Fatter
    • richer or poorer? Richer (The grad assistantships paid us on Dec 15th then not again until Feb 1. I don't have that insane feeling I have had the last 6 years as a doc student.)
  • What do you wish you'd done more of? Yoga
  • What do you wish you'd done less of? Sitting at the computer while my ass fell asleep.
  • How will you be spending Christmas? In the North Georgia Mountains with my mom and dad and their dog Annie.
  • Did you fall in love in 2004? I guess I did. :D
  • What was your favorite TV program? What Not to Wear, Long Way Round, Significant Others, and I was badly addicted to American Idol for a while there!
  • Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No.
  • What was the best book you read? I have no idea. I didn't read a lot this year. I mean, I read a lot, but it was articles and intervention manuals and the like. Nothing fun. :(
  • What was your greatest musical discovery of 2004? The Rapture.
  • What did you want and get? A new digital camera, a little more serenity
  • What did you want and not get? A peaceful place to live (damn downstairs neighbor)
  • What was your favorite film of this year? I have to admit it's been a VERY low movie year for me. I really like Lost in Translation though. Oh wait... I LOVED FINDING NEMO! I know it's been out a while, but I only saw it this year for the first time.
  • What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I had the most wonderful meal I've had in recent history at Bari Ristorante. Aaron took me there, and it was amazing!
  • What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If my internship paid better. Even the APA site visitors remarked at how low the pay is here.
  • How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? Building a work wardrobe.
  • What kept you sane? Aaron. Maggie. Jeep. Tribe. The fact that the noise from downstairs doesn't go into my bedroom.
  • Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I don't know. It was a low crush year. Maybe Jon Stewart? Update: I am so wrong. Mynx reminded me that I had/have a woman crush on Nigella Lawson.
  • What political issue stirred you the most? Well, I found the fact that so many marginalized people voted for Bush just baffling. How can poor people vote against candidates that support social issues that will benefit them? I know! They will vote their morality! Ugh.
  • Who did you miss? My Bloomington friends.
  • Who was the best new person you met? Duh. Aaron.
  • Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004: Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Perfectionism is for chumps, and I'm a chump, and I'd like not to be.
  • Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
  • Make me! I always hate that question. My brain doesn't work that way.